1.04.2019

What I Read in 2018

Happy New Year! My reading goal for 2018 was to read 12 books. One a month. I have been on a reading kick for the last few months and ending up reading 27 books last year. I use Goodreads to keep track of what I'm reading. You can check out my whole 2018 list here if you're interested but want to share my favorites from the year below.


Fiction

Historical fiction will always be my favorite. I credit my deep love for the American Girl series as a kid for this. I also read quite a few psychological thrillers this year, and while they're entertaining, enjoyable, and quick to read, my heart belongs to historical fiction. I just love learning about history in this way and find myself searching the internet for more information about the time periods or characters I'm reading about.

1. America's First Daughter by Stephanie Dray and Lauren Kamoie
This book is the story of Patsy Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson's eldest daughter. It takes you through her life, which was fascinating. In addition to have a front seat to the American revolution, she spent time in Paris and was very loyal to her father. The authors of this book spent a lot of time researching Patsy's life and it shows. This book was long but still I found myself wishing it wouldn't end.

2. All of the Fiona Davis Books
Fiona Davis writes in a style I enjoy, taking you from modern day to historic New York City by connecting contemporary characters to the stories of women who lived or worked in iconic historic buildings in the city. If you like this kind of fiction, I'd start with The Address or The Masterpiece. I liked The Dollhouse but I found the main character a bit annoying but if you enjoy the other two, you'll enjoy this as well.

3. The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams
Taking place on the fictional Winthrop Island in the 1950s and 1960s, this story dives into the culture of the island and the relationships between those who summer there and the people who live on the island year-round. I found it to be a really enjoyable read, with its vintage appeal and a storyline that didn't give itself away too soon. It makes for a really great summer or vacation read.

4. My Dear Hamilton by Stephanie Dray and Lauren Kamoie
I, like everyone else who has seen it, loved Hamilton. This book is written from Eliza Hamilton's perspective. Like America's First Daughter, this book takes place over the course of the protagonist's life so you get to know her as a young woman and then see what her life was like after Alexander Hamilton's death. It was well researched, includes lots of information based on Eliza's personal letters and was just fascinating. The book is long but worth sticking with.

Non-Fiction

I don't read a ton of non-fiction but have read some great non-fiction books this year. Many have been for a cohort I'm part of this year at church but not all of them.

1. Recapturing the Wonder by Mike Cosper
Subtitled "Transcendent Faith in a Disenchanted World", this book points out how resistant we are as a culture to the possibility of the miracles and magic offered to us in the Christian faith. This book challenged my personal bias towards logic and rationalism and in turn helped me to think about the possibility of wonder. To remind myself that God is capable of  immeasurably more than my human brain can imagine. How refreshing and how freeing.

2. Becoming by Michelle Obama
I think basically everyone has read this book since it came out so I won't spend too much time on this one. The best word I've come up with to describe Michelle Obama's autobiography is "relatable". Her story feels like it could be my story or anyone else's. Of course, a glimpse into the Obama's and White House life was a draw. I've heard that it's great on audiobook, too.

3. Necessary Endings by Dr. Henry Cloud
This book. If you are having trouble making a difficult decision, particularly professionally, read this book. I was in a situation where I was trying to discern if it was hard because it was hard or if it was hard because it wasn't the right thing and someone recommended this book to me and I found it so helpful. Even if you're not in a similar situation, you likely will be one day and this is a great addition to any professional or leader's toolkit.

I set my goal for 2019 at 20 books. I just finished a psychological thriller, The Other Woman by Sandie Jones and am working through two other books so the year is off to a good start! I love recommendations so please let me know what you're reading or have loved in the comments.

P.S. I "read" another book via audiobook, Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis. I didn't count it in my 2018 count because I didn't actually read it but does it count? Does consuming a book count as reading it? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment