11.16.2016

two favorites

We are enjoying the most wonderful convergence of seasons right now. It's a fall that keeps delivering days that can only be described as splendid, perfectly fall-like without being too cold and bursting with sunshine. Being that it's November, I can already feel the excitement and warmth of the holiday season approaching.

With the holiday season beginning in just over a week, I thought it would be fun to share a pair of favorites. The first can even help you through Thanksgiving if football isn't your thing.

The Crown


This new Netflix series chronicles the early reign of Queen Elizabeth II and I. Am. Hooked. I L-O-V-E all things royals and just about anything British so this series is right up my alley plus it's so well done. The costumes and sets and scenery are stunning, as you can imagine. There's everything from tragedy and scandal to complete pomp and it's just a wonderful show. If you liked Downton Abbey, you will love this.

Queen Elizabeth was only 25 when she ascended to the throne and watching her grow into her role as queen is just fascinating to watch. She comes across as surprisingly relatable. I felt like I was getting to know her. I also love a series that makes me feel like I'm learning something and, while surely dramatically interpreted, the events depicted in the series are all based on history.

We flew through this ten episode series and the second season cannot get here soon enough.

Kids Read Truth Advent Table Cards


If you're not familiar with She Reads Truth and are interested in exploring the Bible more deeply you should definitely check it out. They offer Bible studies for women through their website, their app, and beautifully designed publications as well - there's also He Reads Truth for men.

Anyway, back to the cards. The set includes a card for each day of Advent with a verse and questions to discuss with your kids at the dinner table (or wherever works for you). There are three questions on each card, each geared to different age levels.


Our set just arrived today and even though Advent isn't here yet we decided to try out the first card. The simplest of the questions was just right for Elia and she took to the cards right away. I explained that Advent is the season when we anticipate ("What does anticipate mean, Mommy?") and prepare for Jesus' birthday and she lit right up since, you know, she loves birthdays and she loves Jesus. I am so excited to try these table cards out this Advent season as a family.

Those are my two favorites for today. I hope you enjoy and find it useful, even if it is just for finding a new series to binge watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment